Friday, March 12, 2010

The Ever-Changing PIN

Today, a patron walked up to get on a computer. Simple enough. There are two things you need for that: a library card and a PIN number. Here's how the conversation went...

Me: "Do you have a library card?"
Her: "Yes." And she pulls it out.
Me: "Do you have a PIN number?"
Her: "Yeah."

So, I scan her card and ask her to tell me her PIN so I can make the computer reservation.

Her: "Oh, I don't know what it is...it's probably the same thing we always use."
Me: "Ok. Well, would you like me to try that and see if it works, or reset it?"
Her: "Reset it. It's completely random."

Umm...I believe she just said it was probably what they always use, but apparently it's completely random. Ok, that's fine.

Me: "Ok, well I can reset it then. What would you like it to be?"
Her: "Whatever you give me."
Me: "Umm, well, the way it works is you choose a PIN and use the same one every time you get on a computer."
Her: "I don't know...ABC123...I won't remember it."
Me: "Is there something you can choose that you will remember?"
Her: "No. I forget every time. I'll have to reset it next time too."

At this point I'm wondering what the point of a PIN number is, then. Certainly she has one for her debit card? Do they let her reset it every time she makes a purchase?

Instead of arguing the politics of the whole thing, I just proceeded with the PIN she gave me and let her go.

Just another example of the strange patrons we encounter every day. Welcome to the world of the library.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! You are way more patient than I am. I would have just walked away. -Jessica Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually does happen with people's debit cards. They get their stupid cards stuck in my ATM all day long because they can't just memorize those four numbers. Inevitably, the card is from another bank and I'm not gonna deal with it. You should see the look on their face when I tell them they can't have their card back... as in "It's gone forever and now you have to go to your bank and order a new one". Too bad your patrons don't have to apply for a new PIN and then wait for it to come in the mail. That's the only way people remember that kind of stuff. Works with the debit cards anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete